The Literacy Project
PREFERRED AREA OF STUDY: Language Arts; Linguistics; Social Sciences however anyone with an interest in youth development is welcome; Any academic Year level also welcome.
VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE: None required as full Training and Orientation provided.
PREFERRED SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE: Competent reading and writing skills; Ability to communicate verbally employing sound grammar and vocabulary use - with confidence; Creativity, Adaptability and Patience as dealing with varying age groupings.
SETTING – THE NATIONAL LIBRARY SERVICE; COMMUNITY SETTINGS; OTHER AREAS WHERE CHILDREN MAY BE GATHERED FOR THE PURPOSES OF A FOCUSED LEARNING SESSION.
Commencement Date: IMMEDIATE
Duration: 6 months minimum
Frequency: Minimum of (2) one and a half hour sessions per month ongoing for period specified
- Taking the lead on facilitating a group activity session
- Sourcing a text with a clear positive theme for the purposes of reading to the group
- Formulation of a question and answer segment to test understanding of text
- Devise short written activities based on the theme of the text
- Guiding a participant activity feedback segment to close the session
By the end of the Volunteering Period, Volunteers will:
- Have acquired competence in the facilitation and management of purpose led groups.
- Have an enhanced understanding of how to design and deliver a Literacy Activity session to a group of young persons of varying ages.
- Have acquired a greater appreciation of the skills involved and required for effectively planning for and managing a group exercise characteristic of a varied age range – such that session objectives are accomplished.
FOCAL POINT PERSONS:
ASSESSMENT: Volunteer feedback will be generated via a rubric devised synonymous with the required desired outputs. This serves a Quality Assurance Measure.